Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tinted Stitchery

Hello and Happy Autumn! (Eeeeeeeeee! I am so glad it's finally fall!)

I've been thinking about tinted stitchery lately. I've done a few pieces that I've tinted with either crayons (before the stitching) or colored pencils (after the stitching).  



Awww, this sweet little baby boy is now five years old! It's hard for me to believe!!

That's just a small sampling of some of the things I've color tinted over the years.
I really like the look of the tinted pieces. And as much as I enjoy experimenting with different types of fill stitches, sometimes I simply don't have the patience for it. When I need a quick color fix tinting does the trick. I know it's not for everyone, though. How about you? Do you like to tint your stitchery?

Adorable pattern by Greenbeanbaby...coming soon to her shop!

Please, do share your thoughts about untinted vs. tinted stitchery. I am curious! 

11 comments:

Julie said...

I love tinted stitching. I've only tinted a few of my own pieces. I need to do more.

Unknown said...

I still have never tried it myself! But I love the look of it--it van really add some depth to your embroidery.

sewphie said...

I love a fill stitch me! Having said that I do really like the look of crayon tinting, I've just never tried it myself. I especially like the star and the little apple boy.

Poppy (xperimentl) said...

I have to admit that filling stitches aren't my favorite either, but sometimes solid stitching is just too bold for a piece. I like the softness of color that tinting can provide. I think it really adds to the examples you showed in this post (loving that little bird). I usually tint with colored pencils. I also like the look of chalk if an item isn't going to be washed. I've used fabric paints a few times as well.

Barb said...

I have never done it but your tinted stitching looks great!

Glenda said...

I've color-tinted with both crayon and colored pencil, and I like each for different reasons. (But never again will I color-tint something that will be washed -- lesson learned on that one!) It's sure a nice way to add a boost of color when you're using a white or other light fabric.

Paige said...

Hmmm, I think I'm a purist because I prefer the untinted. With that being said, that Wubzy pillow is precious!

Carla said...

I like the look of the tinted one :)

besomom said...

I think the tinted stitching is so striking, but I can't always get it to work right for me, so I don't usually bother. I don't mind fill stitching if the piece is small, but otherwise it's tedious!

FullertonRegan said...

I love the look of the tinted pieces, but I've never tried it myself because I thought it took special tools. But you're telling me I can use crayons and/or colored pencils? WHAT??! Can you do a tutorial? Can these items be laundered? Will the color stay (not so big a deal - we can always re-color), or will the colors bleed (HUGE deal, that would suck!)?? Do tell.

Kristi said...

Thanks for the feedback, all! I really appreciate it.

FullertonRegan, Wild Olive has some amaaaaaaaaazing tips & tutorials on tinting your stitchery. Check 'em out!


Wild Olive's Tips & Tutorials