Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Apple WIP

Hey there, Stitchy Peeps!

Ok, here's another one from the WIP pile:

happy apple wip

face detail

details

bzzzzzz

stem-stitched stem

There are some things you should know:

I am going to frog the mouth and stitch it in a darker shade of pink. I think. I've already frogged it once, and I don't want to do it again, but since I am unhappy with the way the mouth looks, I don't have a choice. I also don't know if I am crazy about the wings. I free-handed the detail with white rayon floss (slippery stuff, folks! But shiny & fun and not too hard to work with in small doses.), and I think the wings now bear a great resemblance to leaves. Tee hee. But I am 99.9% sure I won't be changing the wings. They are kinda cool.

I also think I am going to add a nose to her face. I think she needs one. There's a lot of empty space on that face! The dimensions of the piece are approximately 6 inches wide by 9 inches tall, with her face being about 4.5 inches wide. Most of the examples I've seen of this piece (or any vintage pattern, come to think of it) appear to be smaller...If anyone has done a vintage pattern, what were your measurements? I'm curious. Elizabeth, how big/small is your Happy Apple? Maybe I should've made her smaller so her face wouldn't look so empty.

Ok, that's if for me, my darlings. I hope you are having a good week! And also, I hope you are getting lots of stitching done. :) I plan to work on this Happy Apple WIP tonight, so hopefully I will back tomorrow (or Wednesday...or Thursday...) with pics to share with you. Until then...

Happy Stitching!

12 comments:

Mollie said...

OK, I see what you're saying about what seems to be an expanse on her face, but honestly, I really like how it looks without a nose...

Nosnin said...

CUTE!
I like it, looks good just the way it is. :)

Unknown said...

how delightful your works are! well, my friend mathyld showed me some of your bee items and i have posted them on my bee haunting blog: http://beehaunting.blogspot.com/2009/02/another-bee-find-from-mathyld.html

barncat (Lisa) said...

That apple is adorable, but it does almost seem like she needs a nose, either way she's going to end up cute as can be. Once again fantastic pictures (I really need to work on that).

AJ Bindel said...

I think this is possibly the cutest little apple I've ever seen!! When I saw the bee's wings, I thought how awesome they looked. So don't change them!

I love your bright color choices!

Anonymous said...

The wings look great...if I were to change anything about them I would make the black outline white.

besomom said...

I think the face looks fine without a nose. Beautiful stitching!

Brook said...

oh I love love love love it!!!

susanc said...

Your work is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

Andrea said...

Oh this is just adorable!! I love it, it's perfect!

Claudia said...

your embroidery is always impeccable, from the evenness of your stitches to your color choices. i love this little apple and i also thought the bee was awesome!

great job!

Anonymous said...

Great job Kristin!!! I like the bee's wings!!

I stitched a little in the waiting room the other night. I will post my WIP...