Friday, August 8, 2008

Under The Sea

Hey there, Stitchy Peeps! The mermaid I told you about is complete! Woo hoo!

Let's take a look at her, shall we?
all done

This little sweetie is from Badbird, who totally rocks, don'tcha think?

Here are a few more pics:
long flowing locks

she wore a flower in her hair

kissable lips

Ok, so you may have noticed that this sweet little mermaid's lips are a little large, especially if you've seen the original pattern that Andrea (Badbird) made. I had to do a little improvising because my Sulky pen, as wonderful and lovable as it is, is not good when it comes to getting a fine line drawn...so all those little details on things end up being not so little. So the mouth, along with the nose, came out a little thick. I swear, I redid that mouth so many times! This one here was my 6th --AND FINAL, darn it!--attempt. At first I thought it looked just a little too large, but I figured I would just have to learn to love it. ('Cause it sure as heck wasn't getting frogged and restitched again!) But you know what? Now that I've been looking at it for a while, I really do love it. I think her lips are so sweet! Not what I had in mind whatsoever when I started, but really quite lovely all the same. :) Plus, she's got super smoochable lips for all those cute mermen she'll run into while she's under the sea...

Hmmmm, do you think perhaps I've gotten a little carried away? No??? Good. Me neither. :)

Anywho....

Here are a couple of detail pics of the stitching. I am still working on my stem stitch.
stitches

stem stitch

My stem stitches really do need some work, but I think they look ok. Just as long as I keep on practicing, right? Once upon a time, my french knots were hideous. I mean, HID-E-OUS. Bad bad bad. But practice makes prefect. Well, near-perfect anyway. ;)

Ok, that's it for me! I hope I didn't bore you with all this blah-blah-blah. Tee hee.

Hey, don't let me forget, I've got a couple pics to show you of some cutie pies wearing the shirts I embroidered for them...but that's gonna have to wait until next time. Until then...

Happy Stitching!

7 comments:

Meg said...

ooh, I love her! How did you get the underlying skin/tail color?

Kristi said...

Thanks! She was a fun stitch.

I used colored pencils to fill her in. For the underside of the tail, I just colored a little darker. :)

Brook said...

I love juicy lips!!! how do mermaids have babies?? non stitchy question but... I mean really??? oh and thanks for the bloggy award!! I have been too lazy to do it!

Candice said...

So does it still count if I regift?!? =D

See here, baby!

You know I ♥ you. =D

Anonymous said...

her scales look really good. and the lips look great too, sometimes a mistake is just a wonder waiting to happen!

Jennifer said...

You are very talented! Do you sell your stuff?

Kristi said...

Thanks everyone! Jennifer--no, I don't sell anything...the patterns specifically say DO NOT SELL, and I am one of those rule-abiding types of gals that does what she's told, lol. I am so flattered that you think I could, though! xoxoxo